21 killed in fresh attacks in southern Kaduna
At least 21 people have been killed in renewed attacks in four communities in Kaura and Jama’a local government areas of Kaduna state.
Many houses were also burnt in the attacks, which reportedly took place between Sunday evening and Monday morning.
Details of the attacks are still sketchy.
All efforts to contain the violence in the region have not yielded the desired results.
Nasir el-Rufai, governor of the state, has held a series of peace meetings with stakeholders. The governor even declared a 24-hour curfew in some of the affected local government areas during the heat of the crisis.
Last week, the foundation of a proposed military barrack in Kafanchan was vandalised.
Speaking when the foundation was laid, Tukur Buratai, chief of army staff, said the location was chosen as a response to the incessant killings occurring in southern Kaduna for four decades.
The government has vowed to go ahead with the establishment of the barrack, despite the temporary setback.
Earlier in the month, former President Goodluck said the implementation of the resolutions of the 2014 national conference will prevent ethnic and religious tensions that lead to crises.